2008-04-13

The Sunday Commentator: Article on Politics: The Company You Keep

From day one I was skeptical of Obama. It's only natural given he kind of came out of nowhere. To be sure, there were moments where he intrigued me and I posted about it. While he has the courage to discuss certain touchy issues, sometimes I wonder of if he is a case of plus ca change...

Consider this article in the conservative National Review by Andrew C. McCarthy.

Hmm. Wonder if Michael Moore will make a movie about this. Much has been made about the Bush's family attachment to the House of Saud. But what about the relationship Obama has with the characters mentioned in the article? Well, we know Moore is not about the truth so let's forget that notion. It would be a tad unfair to give Obama a pass but not others on this particular issue.

Sometimes you are not the company you keep. Personally, I grew up with people who ended up in organized crime. I played sports with them. Hung out and shared an espresso with them. Joked around and debated.

I always knew there was a fine line between socializing with them and becoming a part of their world. My father was always sure to remind my brother and me. It was our own private "A Bronx Tale."

I kept this in mind when I was reading the article. That Obama has flirted and befriended people of questionable character and accepted a philosophical outlook that is rather divisive and regressive is his personal choice. The truth is that as it is described, these are not just misguided people. But citizens of low moral fiber. Individuals that Dante would have no trouble finding room for in The Inferno.

As it turned out, I wasn't running for office and always knew where to draw the line. Many times I had intimate conversations with the people I know about why they chose their route in life. I learned early that in life people choose their paths and that I can either agree with it or not. I came to understand it but never accepted it. I never judged but I didn't attempt to justify it either. We all have choices. We instinctively know the difference between right and wrong.

It's hard to believe that Obama, who by all account seems like an inherently decent person (the eyes say a lot) can't tell the difference. It does look like he and his wife crossed a line I was never prepared to do.

He should face this with truth and honesty. Not with the shrugging of shoulders. He made his bed. Now we will find out if he is willing to sleep in it.

Note: Just wanted to drop another perspective on this. After discussing this with a sports radio host from Boston, who shall remain nameless, he made the point that, "Dissent is built in to the foundation of the union."

And in the interest of balanced perspective read this at Urban Legends... of all places.


2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post this is. Obama really lost me with the whole Rev Wright issue. So he sat there for 20 years listening but not taking it in and not fully comprehending what his pastor was saying. I have a friend who went to this Church for one week only. Once, was enough for them to realise there were some pretty demented and dangerous theories being prophesised. Personally, I think Michelle dragged him by the ears each Sunday and he sat there listening to his Ipod. She is the older woman after all. Nice doesn't cut it when all is said and done. These politicians are human and make mistakes and let power go to their head. I understand that. But, taking 20 years to work out you needed to leave the Church unless the Pastor resigns (jsut because FOX never stopped harping on it) is just being stupid and DISHONEST. No-one can risk stupid even though dishonest is risked just by having people in power. I think they just had stupid with George anyway, so why have a better looking and nicer repeat. Thats why unfortunately I think the Republicans will get in. Easy for me to say when I am not an American but it has an impact globally. We woud have an 100 year war with Obama (if it took him 20yrs to see through his church's teachings then how is he going to manage some of the these world leaders when he doesnt have the same vantage point) or with McCain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Lilly.

    Interesting that you had a friend who witnessed it first hand. Already the second hand information is creepy. Imagine live.

    Love the iPod description. I see him doing that.

    I'm not afraid of Republicans. They DO have a record of progressiveness. I think both parties are beset by different elements. The Democrats have a hard left faction and the GOP do have Christian fundamentalist support. Which is worse?

    It does come down to characters. Of the three main runners McCain seems to be the one with least baggage. Unless of course you remove his experience in Vietnam. Then you would have Principle Skinner type flash backs in the Oval office.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.