2006-08-31

A Spiritual Mismatch

Madonna is really sticking to this Kabbalah binge isn't she? Hey, maybe a leopard can change its spots after all. Who are we to say? Still, it's too rich of an oxymoron to miss.

If only she discovered it earlier we would have been spared some of her more exaggerated indiscretions. Maybe even her music would have been worth a whole lot more. 'Like a Virgin' would have probably been called 'Like a Spiritualist.' File this under the woulda, coulda, shoulda of history.

The Kabbalah's influence is immeasurable and difficult to quantify. It cuts right through to the very core of what we strive to be as a species.

There's a point of contradiction it seems. Madonna's career ran against all what the Kabbalah teaches. Madonna's life and times as a star was one for the chattering classes. Gossip magazines, tabloids and entertainment shows all wanted to know who she slept with and what decadent sexual act she would dreamed up next. That's what, for me anyway, her gift was to society. She fed off the immediate self-gratification we yearned for like a cheap parasite.

She gladly fed the beasts' belly. That was her choice. Now she has decided to get in touch with her spiritual side. It's as if she suddenly awoke one morning and said, "Ok, I made my bucks now let's develop my spiritual side." The question is shouldn't we all be taught at an early age to do so? Where have we gone wrong that we treat our inner soul like a light switch?

Forgive me if I see something unholy - or at the very least hypocritical - in her new found love for the Kabbalah. She went from 0 to 60 in seconds flat. Sex to the Kabbalah. Nothing in between. Has she grown? I'm not normally a cynic but it stinks of just another celebrity type who remains unfulfilled. Some run to Scientology and others find other forms of spirituality. They all seem to do it for the wrong reasons.

One night flipping through channels I stumbled upon one of her films. I think it was 'Truth or Dare.' I watched the scene where Kevin Costner went backstage and told her that the show she had just performed was 'neat.' Madonna's response was to gag. It seems she did not like the word 'neat.' It said a lot about her. Yup, the Kabbalah was screaming for her.

I changed the channel.

2 comments:

  1. Spirituality for me is what I am...I might sound confusing but its really very simple for me. Its a force wchich is within oneself. One does not change overnight. Its a journey...

    I know I am digressing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right on. It doesn't sound confusing nor is it digressing for I think you help to illustrate my point.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.