2012-07-11

Tattoo You And Extra Help

My wife's cousin is an aspiring professional cake baker. Or is it cake maker? Whatever.

She was telling us how the store she works for - regarded as one of the best in the city - has a no tattoo policy. Or at least, a ban against visible tattoos.

As a business owner, I gotta say, I think that's a wise policy. Already I'm not that enamored with candidates that come in sporting tattoos and making it a point to show them whether they're behind their neck or lower back.

In this milieu I consider it best to be conservative.

That being said, I recognize having one doesn't and shouldn't detract from whether someone get do the job. I don't care or judge that people get tattoos - it's a fad even among my friends who are into their 40s now. All are professionals and having a tattoo doesn't equate to bad behavior.

However, in a work place environment I do feel it's one of the last places of decorum we should maintain.

***

Kids today are taught all things are relative. That they are unique and therefore all around them will appreciate this "reality."

Until they get into the real world...where bosses ask for more.

I can't take for granted that Gen Y or D or XYZ will do the extra things to earn them "points." Trust me, piece of advice, you want to get ahead?  Do something at work of value without being asked. THAT NEVER GOES UNNOTICED. I notice it ALL THE TIME. I bank that in the back of my head. A worker may not see immediate dividends but it will pay off.

Use this advice and watch your career move forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.