2012-07-25

Movie Clip: Shawshank Redemption; All About Eve




I didn't see Shawshank Redemption until years after it was released in 1994. For over 10 years it was a movie I often heard praised by anyone and everyone. It's one of those "you just have to watch" movies if you're into this art form. I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like this film which happens to be on the AFI 100 list. Shawshank simply resonated with people. I know I enjoyed it very much.

The opera duet you hear in the clip is a libretto called Sull'Aria from Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro. The libretto was written by the Venetian composer and poet Lorenzo da Ponte.

Although the duet is about exposing infidelity, it symbolizes freedom in this scene.

It's all about freedom.

***

Speaking of great masterpieces. My wife and I watched All About Eve the other night. Magnificent acting and script. It covers many themes from psychology and obsession of celebrity culture, succeeding at all costs, the intricacies of friendship both negative and positive, egotism, ambition, to name a few.

I can see why it was ranked 18th on the AFI.

Anne Baxter, Celeste Holm (who died this year) and Bette Davis were a thrill to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.