2011-12-23

Having Fun With Christmas Songs For Africa Lyrics

Ok.

After 20 odd plus years, I actually paid attention to the lyrics of some of these 'Save Africa' songs from the 1980s by recording artists from the UK, USA and Canada.

First up, the United Kingdom. Band-Aid (which always made be think of plasters) banded and bonded together to release the greatest selling single (I believe) in UK history - Do They Know It's Christmas?

Already the title wreaks of 'white man's burden' guilt.

It's Christmas time, there's no need to be afraid
At christmas time, we let in light and we banish shade
  

As opposed to the rest of the time we only accept darkness and the apocalypse.

But say a prayer - pray for the other ones
At christmas time


Again, just at christmas. Not Easter, Halloween etc.

it's hard, but when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
  

Ah, thus begins the guilt ride. No, shit. Really? A whole wide world?

And it's a world of dreaded fear
Where the only water flowing is a bitter sting of tears
And the christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom
  

Nice collection of metaphorical words. I like. Sounds like something ride out of Lord of the Rings.

Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you  

Fucken-A. That's what I always say.

And there won't be snow in Africa this christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life  
Where nothing ever grows
No rain or rivers flow


Ok. Technically this is all wrong.  Nothing grows in Africa? Really? I thought bananas, coconuts, pineapples, coffee and dates are grown there. Rain forests don't count?  I betcha lots of crap grow in the jungle too. And really, no rivers flow? What, over 4300 miles of the Nile is not enough? You want lakes I'll give you lakes! Lake Tanganyika is the deepest lake in Africa. Never mind about Victoria Falls.

Sounds to me like Africa has a major corruption and distribution issue.

Here's to you
Raise your glass for everyone
Here's to them
Underneath that burning sun  


Because this will eliminate starvation and solve the problem. Take that! And that! You stupid poverty.


Make sure you eat your sandwich for there are starving kids in Africa. Not South America or even possibly in your own city!

Feed the world
Let them know it's christmas time and
Feed the world
  

"Here's some beef jerky and remember, it's Christmas." I always imagine a giant person with a spoon feeding every child on earth with that line.

In honesty, I really don't think they give a shit it's christmas time in North Africa. Being mostly Muslim and all that. It's a small technicality I realize but still...


Next up. The Americans. "We are the world."


Actually, the lyrics aren't that bad. I think "we are the world" means we literally are the world. Not a reference to the Americans being the world - though it could mean that. I don't want to get into a "Born in the U.S.A." type of misinterpretation here.


Finally, Canada. "Tears are not enough." Which in true Canadian fashion, was released under the USA album.

First, let me get my vomit bucket.

Seems like overnight
We see the world in a different light
Somehow our innocence is lost


Curious, how did we "somehow" lose our "innocence?"

How can we look away

Easy. There I just did it.

cause every single day
We've got to help at any cost


Every single day? I can barely get my own shit in order. Gee, I don't know, that seems like a lot of pressure.

We can bridge the distance
Only we can make the difference
Dont ya know that tears are not enough


I think if you get all the bestest engineers in the world - with some alien help -  you can build that bridge somehow.


Only we can make a difference? What about Africa itself? I think they can have a more meaningful impact on themselves but that's just me and my callous, antiquated conservative posturing.
I would like to add no children were fed during the writing of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.