2010-08-06

Being Free Is Complex Yet So Easy

I can easily get on board with this philosophy. Although, libertarian (or voluntarynism in this case) never fully addresses man's natural state of war when left to his own as Hobbes asserted.

Baines embraced what he called the Voluntary system which includes all that is not Government or compulsory, - all that men do for themselves, their neighbours, or their posterity, of their own free will. It comprehends the efforts of parents, on behalf of the education of their children, - of the private schoolmaster and tutor, for their individual interest, - of religious bodies, benevolent societies, wealthy benefactors, and cooperative associations, in the support of schools, - and of those numerous auxiliaries to education, the authors and editors of educational works, lecturers, artists, and whoever devotes his talents in any way to promote the instruction of the young, without the compulsion of law or the support of the public purse. ...



I]ts very essence is liberty. It offends no man's conscience, exacts from no man's purse, favors no sect or party, neither enforces nor forbids religion in the schools, is open to all improvement, denies to no person the right of teaching, and gives to none the slightest ground for complaint. It is as just and impartial as it is free. In all these important respects it differs from systems which require the support of law and taxation."
 
I do have concerns with how much power the state has. I'm not so sure it's necessarily always in the "best interest of all" all the time. At some point, as Tacitus observed, it takes a lot of laws to pull this off and where there are excessive laws there is corruption. It's not normal to have to need several permits, for example, to open up a restaurant or in my case a daycare. I also have no problem with people who homsechool their kids. To be frank, the way Quebec handles its education, I too may consider it. There is way too much paternalism threatening the advancement of education. At some point you just want off the ship.
 
In the link above, it describes well how state power and coercion works. It's designed to look benign but it isn't. I've built homes in the past. Again, it's not normal to have inspectors come and shut you down (didn't happen to me but I was aware of how they function) for not having proper "permits." A similar scenario did happen to me in my own building where an obscure division of Quebec's corrupt construction unions entered my building with excessive confidence that left me uneasy and unimpressed. They snooped around threatening this and that, checking permits and giving out "friendly advice."
 
It was all to justify their own pathetic jobs. They offered nothing of value and all it was was state interventionism and state power flexing its muscles on the "little guy."
 
Don't believe me. It happens all the time. In a different vain, eminent domain abuse is equally a practice in law that can destory individual rights and liberties.
 
I think I'll stop here. But before I do that, I want to add. I'm all for regulations. Where I can't regulate an issue with a fellow man, we need a final arbitrator to decide things peacefully. I know humans have grown more complex in their ways and population expands therefore laws grow with along with them but at the same time it's become a nuisance in its over reach. Liberals believe theirs to be a rational belief system. I think rationalism is more fluid than they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.