2009-08-20

Unions Have Way Too Much Power

As printed many times before, I'm no fan of unions. A link to the Montreal Economic Institute titled "Business people need to stiffen their spines."

Absolutely.

Free-enterprise has been basically ripped to shreds in North America. I love when I hear people talk about how "capitalism" doesn't work or that "deregulation" is the source of all our problems. To me, this is all par for the course. In the post-war era, most of our time has been spent nationalizing and socializing our societies. Of course deregulation will fail if the government still has a massive hand in things. Capitalism was never "pure" in my lifetime. It was a strange brew of corporate preying that teamed up with national governments. In the end, democratic principles were lost while healthy skepticism gave way to cynicism.

Business people did once have some fight. In the 1980s, I remember my father joining other business owners to fight Mayor Jean Dore's poll tax. It was a grass roots revolt.

Alas, I fear we may have lost the fighting spirit.

Government is a warm gun and no one wants to piss it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.