2012-05-29

Schumer's Plan 9 From Outer Space. We're Not Extremists Dammit!

"In his speech, Schumer had accused Republicans of being so extreme that they would favor no capital gains tax, which Norquist, at least, agreed with."

So this is where we're at, huh? Where thinking capital gains taxes should be lower or eliminated is "extreme?"

I guess you're likely to think this way if you believe the problem of income inequality and deficits and debts and all that are tied to not enough taxes, then this logic makes sense.

But there are many of us who feel otherwise. Smart financial cookies too. Capitalism as a system is not the problem. The problem is corporatism enabled by the state and welfare entitlements and the taxes that follow.

Capitalism to me merely means the absence of intervention and/or coercive action against my best interest. Everything else is just political bull shit.

The above quote in the opening paragraph is attributed to Chuck Schumer who wants to bar people from coming back into America after they freely choose to leave a country. In this case, Edouardo Saverin (the other guy in the Facebook story/saga), who renounced his American citizenship to live in Singapore where there are no capital gains taxes.

I still don't know why nearly 50% of Americans don't pay taxes.

Schumer continues:

"No one gets rich in America on their own," Schumer said. "And when people do well in America, they should do well by America. I believe the vast majority of Americans believe this too."

This crock of crocodile poo started, I think, with uber-liberal Elizabeth Uber - I mean Elizabeth '1/32' Warren. What I interpret in this argument is that you're a partner in someone's success. It's indirectly laying claim to something is not yours. The "I paved the road to your success" disease.

I don't share, as you can see, this view at all. If you feel you've been a part of a company's success, then buy the stock if it's available. Keep buying it until you turn blue in the face and become stinking rich.

No one is stopping you from doing this anymore they aren't forcing you to rack up debts.

Saverin created Facebook. People loved it. He provided something they wanted. That's the exchange. He doesn't owe anything else to anyone else. He packed up and left.

Get over yourselves.

Personally, I do think, in a perfect world, Saverin should stick around (who knows the details of his life and circumstances?), and you should do right by your "neighbor." I put back into the community where I feel I can.

However,  I consider coercive action to make you do right as defined by someone else to be invalid and illegitimate. If Saverin chose to leave, then so be it. People do have an option: Reject Facebook.

But Schumer's "idea" has nothing to do with fairness and everything to do with coercive action that further erodes liberty.






2 comments:

  1. You make way too much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that's why the traffic here is so low!

    I can only nod my head in comical disbelief at some of the stuff I hear.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.