2012-01-25

Accepting Defeat Properly

This is good. Real good. We don't get much glimpses of what goes on behind closed doors in sports but this video clip of Ray Lewis rallying the Baltimore Ravens following their loss to the New England Patriots was impressive. Forget about him off the field, this my friends, is what leadership sounds and looks like.

If I'm not mistaken that's the hand of kicker Billy Cundiff, who missed a 32 yard field goal that could have tied the game, Lewis is holding. It was also interesting to hear him praise Joe Flacco who got some, well flack, going into the game. Flacco was solid.

Of course, Lewis is absolutely right. You rise, win, fall and lose as a team.



It's not easy to have a leader in a locker room everyone respects. Those types of players are rare. I know I wasn't always enamored with my captains. Some thought because you yelled and talked a lot it was "leadership" when it was more annoying than anything.

The Ravens played very well against a powerful opponent. I felt before hand it was going to be a 28-20ish kinda game in favor of New England. To keep a high octane offense like New England under 30 is quite a feat. Sure, they could have tied it but it wasn't in the cards. Next year.

Something tells me the Giants may also keep New England in check.

4 comments:

  1. I think SE needs you as its sports reporter. We don't cover sports much, and your enthusiam and insight could make a huge contri...never mind (you ain't gonna join SE as a contributor no matter how many pleas I make so I'll just have to learn to control my fantasies).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me turn the tables and ask you to come here! Maybe this blog can evolve into 'The Commentator (s).'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful T.C., because I might accept!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, the first anarchist post from a Southern point of view!

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.