2008-02-28

Remembering Heathcliff

When I was kid, two felines ruled the comic world: Heathcliff and Garfield.

One was funny and one was not.

To be honest, I didn't find Garfield funny at all. In fact, I still question the humour IQ of people who liked that stupid idiot.

Heathcliff was the original bad ass smart-alec cat. Actually, Fritz the Cat came before HC but he was utterly depraved and before my time so I'll stick to Heathcliff.

Come to think of it, many rebellious cats came before both HC and Fritz. Like Claude Cat created by Chuck Jones, Walt Disney's legendary The Robber Kitten (aka Ambrose the Robber Cat) and Felix the Cat..

Ah, the classics.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Garfield (boy did I loathe Nermal that jerk off) was a knock off. A bum. A vagabond. A hack who managed to bag a film.

As some may recall, the 80s was also a time when Corey Hart battled Bryan Adams (in Canada anyway) and VHS took on Beta.

I stood by Heathcliff, Beta and Adams.

Whatever. Here's hoping for a Heathcliff revival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.