2008-02-06

I Wonder If They Got My Email...

Do you get insulted when someone doesn't return your phone call? If not insulted, at least perplexed by the lack of response?

Of course, it's no use to get upset. Usually, there is a legitimate or acceptable reason (excuse to some) for someone not getting back to you. There are so many reasons why someone may not do so. They include: they didn't get the message, they forgot, they meant to but couldn't find the time etc. Within these, it's best not to be too naive either.

It's impossible to know what kind of day someone is having. That's why I take an explanation at face value - especially if they come from a trusted source. Even if there's a white lie in it I'm not arrogant enough to take it personally and start a fight over it. Besides, what you don't know can't hurt you. I know with my buddies we are pretty straightforward: I didn't feel like it, I was tired and too busy with the kids are the more common ones. It's all good to us since we've known each other for over 28 years.

Ok, that was the telephone. What about email? Email has become an important source of communication. Does it require the same kind of politesse?

I think it does. Late emails shouldn't be an issue. Not everyone gets to their emails on a regular basis and if they are already the time to procrastinate returning calls, well, good luck.

Personal phone calls and emails deserve a certain amount of leeway.

What about companies?

Here, I am less forgiving. Many companies claim to provide optimum service. Many of those come up short. There is a difference between getting lucky on a customer service representative who happens to approach their jobs in a professional manner and a company that exudes a culture of service excellence from top to bottom.

How do people feel not getting an email response? Does it indeed reflect on the service culture of a company or the character of a person?

1 comment:

  1. You should try libraries which are there to provide information services. Every time I receive a response to an email I grovel with gratitude because it is so rare. Having said that, the libraries and information providers who do respond usually do so promptly, professionally, and with pride in the sources for which they are custodians. They are champions of their vocations and should be sainted. If I could replicate these wonderful people I would.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.