2007-01-17

A brief look at European soccer

www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/28/sports/soccer06.php

Rob Hughes of the IHT is an outstanding soccer writer. One of things I look for whenever I read soccer journalists is whether they have "the instinct." I can't describe it. It's something that comes to you over time. I've been connected to soccer for so long it's a part of me.

Sports Illustrated
has the always enjoyable Gabrielle Marcotti. Here in Canada I enjoy George Johnson. My friend tells me Neil Davidson is good but I have never read his stuff so I'll go with my friend's judgment.

Personally, I enjoy Hughes very much.

www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/19/business/wbfoot.php?page=1

I don't think anyone would dispute that the Premiership, thanks to revenue sharing, is the most profitable, if not most glamorous, league in the world. However, calling it the top league is a bit of a stretch and I am sure Italians and Spaniards will have their own thoughts about this assertion. However, if Italy and Spain were to adopt a similar plan (as opposed to keeping revenues tied to the clubs individually) they would pretty much eradicate England's edge on this front.

There are several ways to tackle this issue. In terms of quality, Italy and Spain match England in some cases surpass it. In terms of attracting talent, right now England has the edge. In terms of overall success historically, Italy prevails. That said, I don't think anyone would or could argue that Spain and Italy have historically been the more consistent leagues.

In terms of linking domestic league success with international accomplishments here Italy stands alone and no nation rivals them in Europe - quite possibly in the world. England has rarely lived up to its promise and Spain have simply flopped. Germany has the international success but their domestic league is not quite on par with the big three though pretty successful.

Here's I would rank them: 1) Italy 2) Germany 3) England 4) France 5) Holland 6) Portugal. Where's Spain? Well, have you checked their international record?

Domestically, the Premiership edges out Serie A and La Liga at this point in time. It won't stay that way. It's always been a battle between the three. So expect great competitive soccer to keep being produced by their hands. Er, feet.

Note: Since 2000, I would argue the cycle has shifted to Spain.

1 comment:

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.