2007-01-19

Canadian Customer Service: An Oxymoron?

When I was in the financial world many calls were inevitably made to the United States. What always impressed and intrigued a couple of us was how quickly phone calls were returned. No matter who, big or small, you can bet you would get a response by the end of the day at the latest. A few times the President of a company would call directly. It was all so flattering.

Contrast this to Canada. I worked for the investment arm for one of the big banks. It was shocking how many times I would put in a call to my own divisions without a call back. Sometimes I would have to call two or three times before getting a curt, if not impolite call back. Imagine that, American strangers would respond back quickly and my own bank could not care less. Americans just know how. That's the only way I can describe it.

Of course, this was my experience. I'm sure Canadians have their own opinions. To be fair, it's not always the case. But overall and on average Canadians lag Americans when it comes to customer care and service. In Canada, you have to beg for a cheque. In America it's already literally in the mail.

I recently emailed the Liberal party for some information. Pretty standard stuff. This was the beginning of last week. I'm still waiting for an answer. Even one of those standard "thanks for contacting us but due to high volume" is too much for them to post.

Is this the Liberal Party's idea of responsive government?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.