2007-12-05

You mean there was life before Jesus?

Every once in a while I climb out of my reading lair (there's so much of Savonarola and Calvin and Hobbes one can take) so that my lady friend can keep me abreast of all that swirls around television land. She thinks I'm a tad wound up and need to relax a little from time to time. My recent sassy successes on a geography test only served to confirm her suspicions. Heck, even I surprised myself.

So, with that being said and done, here's a little tidbit the good lady brought to my attention. She sat on the sofa and asked if I heard so and so ( we didn't know her name) claim that "Christianity came before the Greeks and the Romans."

It seems someone on a show called 'The View' made a bit of an intellectual and historical boo-boo. Her exact blunder that gave way to many ridiculing her intelligence? "I don't think anything predates Christianity," were her mistaken words. Ouch!

While on the surface the temptation to poke fun at someone increases five, maybe ten-fold, a moment of quick reflection is in order. As I processed what I heard, my lady friend (always looking for a sympathetic, gentle and thoughtful answer) raised a possible explanation in defense of this poor soul. Is it possible she simply got mixed up?

When she said "nothing predates Christianity" perhaps she did not mean religion per se but God? Specifically, was her mistake to mix Christianity with God?

Now of course, my argument does not hold up against the fact that she did not know, according to reports, if the world "was flat" on a previous show and that she did not believe in evolution. I can't comment on those because I did not see them. I did see this recent one.

Of course, anyone with a remote grasp of history would manage to separate the two (Christianity and God) but I can accept the possible scenario of human error. Heaven knows, I hope and pray before Constantine that this is in fact what happened.

Whether this chick should be on TV is another issue. Then again, didn't 'The View' have scholar Rosie O'Donnell as a member?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.