2006-10-03

Meet Luca Patuelli

I mentioned the other day I'm working on a cover story for a magazine called 'Exceptional Family.' They offered me an assignment and I took it.

The story revolves around one Luca Patuelli. Mr. Patuelli was struck with a rare affliction called athrogryposis (multiplex congenita) at birth. The disorder results in reduced mobility of joints in the body.

Why a story about Luca? The reason is straightforward - he's a winner. We all love stories about people who succeed against all odds. We've all heard that life is what you make it. That we have to deal with the card God has dealt us. While much of it is lipservice to healthy individuals reduced to mere clichés, they are literal words to live by for Luca.

I met Luca today in a coffee shop in downtown Montreal. He had time to devote between classes for my interview. Only it wasn't really an interview. I'm not really a Q&A sort of guy. It was more a discovery exchange. Casual conversation is a powerful tool in learning how a person parades and dances through life.

That's exactly what the easy going Luca does. Specifically, he breakdances and has started quite a stir. At 22, he's already appeared on the 'Today Show' and Muchmusic aired a documentary following him around for a week called 'Music is my Life.' He's already been approached by production houses in California for commercials and may be in line for bigger things. Persistence, dedication and talent have paid off. Not bad for a kid who has had 14 surgeries (16 in total) related to his condition.

I asked him if he had any goals. "I want to be in a video game one day," he chuckled. "That would be cool." When I asked him about his plans for the future he answered like any young budding star would, "I want to do some motivational speaking down the line but I have 5 or ten good years of dancing in me. I'm still in my prime."

Luca, who was born in Montreal and raised in Maryland, is studying Marketing at Concordia University in Montreal and hopes to incorporate marketing into his breakdancing career. And a career it is. Luca - AKA Lazylegz - is part of a West Island crew called Illmatic Styles and they compete all over the continent as well as Europe. "Montreal is not as advanced as cities in Europe, Asia and the United States, but we hope to change this." I wondered how they could. "It takes commitment. People do tend to want things fast. They don't realize that it takes hard work."

For now, Luca just wants to have fun. In his spare time he hangs on with his buddies. He swims and works out. Indeed, he has strengthened his legs through his work out regiment.

In our time together it was clear this was a person with ambitions and a competitive edge. This was carefully balanced with a congenial personality, a sense of history and a healthy optimism on life. He has no time to sulk. If you want something you have to go and get it. I didn't see a guy held back in anyway. In fact, I didn't notice the crutches he uses to get around.

Luca has been blessed with a solid supporting cast all his life. He never really faced discrimination but if he did it's not something that would have stood in his way.

My meter was running and unfortunately had to close the conversation. Caps on time can be rather impolite. Not even time, however, could stop me from slipping in one question. I asked Luca about the PC movement. I was curious how an insider viewed its culture. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't really think about it. I'm not into lobbyists. How do they know how we feel? They see one negative thing and they think they need to run and change things. The way I see it you make it happen for yourself." Wise and enterprising words.

Luca has made it this far on the force of his character. On the lifeline of a solid family identity and a bedrock of close friends. Above all, he is part of a community he loves dearly.

For now, it's all good for Luca. God and the human body served him a harsh hand - or in his case legs. Luca smiled and turned a positive spin on it. He now holds the right cards in his hands.

It was an uplifting day.

THANKS LUCA ;<)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.